SUMMER SCHOOL OVERVIEW
Our three-day residential school takes place in London on 11 to 13 July and is open to anyone aged 18 to 30, regardless of whether you are based in the UK or beyond.
Anyone interested in getting to grips with issues of freedom and free speech is welcome to apply and we aim to bring together attendees with a wide range of interests and diverse views.
Attendees will hear talks from experts on the history and philosophy of freedom, including revisiting ideals and classic texts. You will have the chance to explore complex moral and ethical issues, debate contemporary hot topics and discuss the limits to freedom. There will be plenty of time to meet, network and socialise with speakers and your peers, as well as attending the annual Living Freedom dinner.
A full topic guide including outline descriptions of all talks and debates, speaker biographies and links to specially collated readings, podcasts and videos will be provided in advance. To gain an idea of the experience you can expect at Living Freedom Summer School, including testimonials from attendees and speakers, please see our special Living Freedom Summer School 2023 review, including the programme, readings, photos and links to videos and podcast recordings, here.
- The culture war against Civilisation
- Privacy: the strange death of private life
- Is technology a problem? Freedom in the digital age
- Have we given up on sexual freedom?
TALKS: MORAL MAZE OF FREEDOM
- Is there a ‘right side of history’?
- Making babies in the lab: the morality of reproductive technologies
- The decolonisation debate
- Gender equality and freedom: have protected characteristics failed us?
- What is a Liberal education?
- A sense of duty: should national service be revived?
DEBATES: FREEDOM AND ITS LIMITS
- Religious freedom: where do we draw the line?
- Protest: how far should it go?
- Net Zero: a dangerous fantasy?
- Free speech on campus: what’s the problem?
- Marking time: how should lecturers judge students?
- BDS and Israel: should public bodies be banned from imposing sanctions?
THE CLASSICS: SHORT TALKS AND SEMINARS
- Frantz Fanon: The Wretched of the Earth
- Francis Bacon: The New Atlantis
- George Orwell: Homage to Catalonia
- Primo Levi: If This is a Man
LETTERS ON LIBERTY: SHORT TALKS AND SEMINARS
- Toleration and gay liberation
- The ‘Free’ House? Pubs and the demise of freedom
- Rethinking anti-Semitism
HOW TO APPLY
If you will be between 18 and 30 years old on 11-13 July 2024, then complete the application form here by Monday 3 June. Successful applicants will be notified by Wednesday 12 June, at which time a fee of £60 will be payable.
Should you need further information, please email the Living Freedom convenor, Alastair Donald, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call +44 (0)20 7269 9234.